Thursday, March 20, 2014

You love who you love

        I want to start this blog with a quote from Hershey's "Choosing Disablity" which really caught my eye on pg. 175. "Raising a child with disabilities is difficult, but raising any child is difficult; just as you expect any other child to enrich your life, you can expect the same from a child with disabilities." I honestly have not had much interaction with disabled people in my life, so I've never really known how to treat them. In Hershey's article she repeatedly mentions how society oppresses disabled people and views them as burdens and thinks they lead miserable lives just because they are disabled. That's how I feel, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Ask yourself right now if you look at everyone equally. If you said you look at everyone equally that's probably false because everyone instinctively categorizes people when they see them. If you look at someone who is not as privileged as you dont you automatically feel pity for them? After reading that quote I realized that I have to force myself to look at disabled people the same. Everyone should, even when it comes to abortions.
        I thought Hershey had a very strong argument supporting women's rights and individual rights, but there was one thing in particular I didn't completely agree with. Hershey said on pg. 73 that "Guaranteeing basic living services has become a top priority for the disability rights movement." I think that disabled people should be treated the same as everyone else. So why should they automatically receive services that others don't? If they don't want to be separated from society then why are they asking for services that plainly set them apart. Am I being selfish by saying that I don't think disabled people should receive so much extra care, or is that normal to think?
        Overall this article has me confused and I can't seem to straighten my thoughts out. I support pro-life activists but at the same time I support pro-choice activists. Then Hershey comes in and says that you shouldn't abort fetus' just because they are disabled. As of now I don't know where I stand on the whole abortion topic, but I agree with Hershey when she says you should not abort just because your child might be disabled. If I was to take one thing away from the article though it would be this: Before making a judgement on a topic, do research of your own and form an opinion based on your own findings. Don't base your opinions on those around you.
-Brandon Reilly
       

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the way that you said people automatically judge others regardless of what they may say. Although one may claim to be completely open minded and non-judgmental, no one really is. The sad truth is that we automatically feel a certain way towards people based off of public opinion. As you said, when we see someone who is less privileged, we automatically feel pity for them, without getting to know them before thinking this way. You are also right in saying that before forming opinions, we must become educated on the topic. We seed to form your own opinions, and be our own person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both, without even knowing people judge others. The quote "don't judge a book by it's cover," really stands out to me because I know I don't even mean to judge someone but most people do. Even if its "oh, that girl looks weird," or "what is he wearing today". Everyone does it, unintentional or not. People shouldn't do this because everyone is made equal and no matter what a person is a person and they just want to be loved like everyone else. I think women should have the choice of what they want to do, but not if they are risking a babies life because they are scared of how the baby will get treated because they are disabled.

    ReplyDelete